Tuesday, 29 August 2017

Let's talk tofu


I think tofu makes an interesting substitute for paneer. It is not the same texture, but it absorbs flavour well. I like to use a tofu press to get the excess water out.

This is a variation of a recipe in Madhu Gadia's The Indian Vegan Kitchen. The more I cook from this book the more I like it. No photographs, but Madhu describes the recipes in detail and they are tasty.

I made a few substitutes to the sauce recipe and was very pleased with the result. How to get that creamy texture? No vegan cream or yoghurt used here. My choice is tahini, the runny sesame seed paste you find in middle eastern shops not the worthy thick stuff from wholefood shops. I don't know why tahini is not a more common ingredient in Indian cooking.  I love tahini dressings as alternatives to dairy yoghurt.

One large white onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic
A knob of ginger, or to taste
2 green chillis, or to taste
Half a 400g can chopped tomatoes, a decent brand
3 tsp roasted dhana jeera
2-3 tbs tahini
1 tbs white poppy seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric

Whiz it all up in a liquidiser ( may need a little added water) then add to pan and cook to drive off the water. Add 2 tbs rapeseed oil and continue to cook until looks darker and shiny and starts to pull away from the edge of the pan. Then add water to the required consistency.
Season to taste.

I tend to fry my tofu to brown it a little but this is not necessary. Simple dish, very tasty. I started making my own dhana jeera as a result of my ground cumin and coriander starting to taste indistinct and bland.

This is my entry to My Legume Love affair #110

5 comments:

  1. I like tofu and was hoping to make 'tofish' chips this weekend,but now you have me tempted wit this recipe, i like how you thickened the sauce with tahini.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would really like to have a go at making tofu, it is not a dissimilar process to that of making paneer. Yes, I love using tahini. I have got used to using coconut yoghurt but ai find adding a little bit of tahini thickens it up and makes it less gloopy. Tastes good too.

    I like the simplicity of this sauce and can see a few simple variations that would be interesting, adding methi for example. We shall see.

    Three sleeps to two weeks on holiday. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The other thing I would add is that I invested in a tofu press after years of balancing heavy pans on bread boards and it really does make a difference, even after 30 mins or so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Ray. I also have a tofu press, but sadly don't use it much.

    https://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/luxurious-vegan-vish-fish-pie-with-sea.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the tofuture version - we use it all the time, even 20 mins makes a difference. Bookmarked your pie, need to get some seaweed. I used to get this wonderful dried dulse...

    ReplyDelete